- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups beef broth
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 (340g) can SPAM® Maple Flavoured
- Oil, for frying
- 3/4 cup white cheese curds
- In small bowl, dissolve cornstarch in water.
- In medium saucepan over medium-high heat, melt butter. Add flour. Cook, stirring 3 to 5 minutes or until mixture turns light golden brown.
- Add beef broth. Bring to boil, stirring with a whisk. Stir in cornstarch mixture. Cook 2 to 3 minutes, or until thickened. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Keep warm.
- Heat about 4 inches of oil in a heavy pan or fryer to 350°F.
- Cut SPAM® Maple Flavoured into 6 slices. Cut each slice into 4 thick matchsticks.
- In small batches, place the fries in the hot oil. Fry 3 minutes or until golden brown and crisp. Drain on paper towels.
- Place fries on serving platter. Top with cheese curds and warm gravy.